Any new proof on assassination of Djindjic welcome

BELGRADE - Minister of Justice Nikola Selakovic said on Tuesday that any new evidence in relation to the murder of Serbian prime minister Zoran Djindjic is welcome.

European Parliament (EP) Rapporteur on Serbia Jelko Kacin told the Novi Sad-based daily Dnevnik on February 16 that he had been informed that there are additional documents, outside Serbia, in connection with a political plot behind the assassination of prime minister Djindjic that could be used in the event of a new investigation.

"If there is any document, new evidence, anything that could change the course of the pre-investigative and investigative stages and what has so far been known concerning the murder of Zoran Djindjic, and if that is kept in regional countries, then we should get this via the instrument of international legal assistance," Selakovic said.

The minister of justice urged that all new evidence be delivered to Serbia's judiciary bodies.

Serbia's First Deputy Prime Minister Aleksandar Vucic said on Monday that it is the duty of competent state bodies to investigate all new elements and complete the inquiry in this case, as in any other.

Serbian prime minister Zoran Djindjic was gunned down outside the government building on March 12, 2003.

Milorad Ulemek, former commander of the Special Operations Unit (JSO), was sentenced to the maximum imprisonment of 40 years in November 2009 for masterminding the killing, while JSO member Zvezdan Jovanovic got the same prison sentence for pulling the trigger.

Ten more people have so far been convicted for involvement in the assassination of Djindjic, including two JSO members and one member of the Security Information Agency (BIA), the remaining ones being members of the...

Continue reading on: