Uighur group says nearly 100 casualties in China clash
A clash in Chinaâs far western region of Xinjiang, home to the countryâs mostly Muslim Uighur minority, left nearly 100 people dead and wounded, an exile group said July 30.
Chinese state media reported on the late hours of July 29 that dozens of civilians and assailants were killed and injured in what it described as a âterrorist attackâ in the region, saying a gang armed with knives and axes had attacked a police station and government offices, before moving on to a township.
âPolice officers at the scene shot dead dozens of members of the mob,â the official news agency Xinhua said of the violence, said to have occurred on the early hours of July 28.
Xinhua did not give a precise breakdown of the casualties, and information in Xinjiang is often difficult to verify independently.
But Dilxat Raxit, a spokesman for the World Uyghur Congress, an exile group, said the toll had climbed significantly.
Citing local Uighur sources, he said in an e-mail: âNearly 100 people were killed and wounded during the clash.â The violence came, he added, when âUighurs rose up to resist Chinaâs extreme ruling policy and were met with armed repression resulting in dead and injured on both sides.â
Raxit had earlier said more than 20 Uighurs were killed and 10 wounded, while a total of 13 armed Chinese personnel were killed or wounded and about 67 people were arrested.
The violence took place in Shache county, or Yarkant in the Uighur language, near the edge of the Taklamakan desert in the west of the vast region.
Beijing commonly blames separatists from Xinjiang for carrying out terror attacks which have grown in scale over the past year and spread outside the...