Rescuers find last quake victim; death toll hits at least 41
The death toll from a powerful earthquake in eastern Turkey has risen to 41, the country's disaster relief agency said on Jan. 27.
The 6.8-magnitude quake shook eastern Elazığ province late on Jan. 24. Tremors were also felt in neighboring countries including Syria and Georgia.
Out of 1,607 injured people, 1,523 have been discharged from the hospital, while 45 people who were trapped under the debris of houses and buildings were rescued, according to the Disaster and Emergency Management Presidency (AFAD).
A total of 948 aftershocks were felt, it added.
AFAD said rescue work continues in the region with more than 3,829 personnel, 568 vehicles and 22 sniffer dogs.
The last body trapped under the debris was recovered, Mehmet Güllüoğlu, head of the AFAD, said in a tweet.
Earlier on Jan. 25, President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan visited the region and attended the funeral of two victims.
"We have borne many earthquakes but the nation has risen above them patiently," said Erdoğan, asking citizens to exercise strength in their weakest hour.
Erdoğan also stressed that the state has been running to the needs of its citizens with all its institutions and facilities since the earthquake.
"Turkey is healing the wounds of this great disaster in unity, togetherness and solidarity," he told reporters on Jan. 26 before departing for Algeria.
Reminding that the interior, health, environment, and urbanization ministers immediately went to the region to supervise the works, Erdoğan said, "All kinds of personnel, tools, equipment, and equipment needed were delivered to the earthquake area in a very short time. All necessary precautions...