Have EU funds been put to good use?

An employee sits next to crates of peaches at the central vegetable market in Athens. Thanks to programs for enticing more young people into agriculture, it is estimated that some 100,000 became farmers since 2000. [Reuters]

The Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) has been the European Union's key mechanism for pumping funds into agricultural production and keeping it competitive since 1962.

In the form it has had in the past few decades, it consists of the European Agricultural Guarantee Fund (EAGF) - the so-called "first pillar" - which provides income support for the bloc's farmers, and the European Agricultural Fund for Rural Development (EAFRD) - the "second pillar" - which concerns structural reforms aimed at improving the primary sector's competitiveness, reducing the environmental impact of agricultural activities and rural development.

At the EU level, but in Greece too, the first pillar absorbs 75% of CAP resources and the second the remaining 25%. In this country, 16.6 billion euros has been invested in agricultural development programs between 2000 and 2020. The question is: Has...

Continue reading on: