"We do not believe that an operation, a major military operation, should continue in Rafah unless there is a clear and enforceable plan to protect these civilians, to move them to safe places, feed them, train them and house them," the White House adviser Sullivan told national security, reported Reuters.
Israel launched air strikes Thursday on southern Gaza's Rafah after threatening to send troops into the city, where around 1.4 million Palestinians have sought shelter from around the territory.
Global powers trying to navigate a way to end the Israel-Hamas war have so far come up short, but a U.S. envoy was expected in Israel on Thursday to try to secure a truce deal.
There are one million and 400 thousand internally displaced Palestinians in Rafah.
"We call on Israel to stop military operations as soon as possible, do everything possible to avoid casualties among innocent civilians and prevent a devastating humanitarian disaster in Rafah," the Chinese Foreign Ministry said, according to Al Jazeera.