Latest News from Bosnia and Herzegovina

U.S. study: Serbs and Croats do not want Bosnia

U.S. study: Serbs and Croats do not want Bosnia

BANJA LUKA -- The main reason that Bosnia-Herzegovina is not functioning is not a shortcoming of the Dayton agreement, says a study on the U.S. policy in that country.

Bosnian Serbs Seek Russian Loan to Replace IMF

Republika Srpska Finance Minister Zoran Tegeltija on April 2 said the entity was still negotiating the terms of a Russian loan, which will hopefully supplant the need to go cap in hand to the IMF.

“The negotiations are being led, but not all conditions of the credit or the deadlines have been defined,” Tegeltija said.

Serbia lowest-ranked in region on enabling trade index

Serbia lowest-ranked in region on enabling trade index

BELGRADE -- Serbia fell on the list of the Global Enabling Trade Report of the World Economic Forum (WEF) and is now 89th among 138 countries.

Two years ago, in the previous report, Serbia was 71st of 132 countries, the Beta news agency reported.

Radmanovic to visit Belgrade on Thursday

BELGRADE - Serbian President Tomislav Nikolic will on Thursday meet with Bosnia and Herzegovina Presidency member Nebojsa Radmanovic, the presidential press office has announced.

Dodik Accused of Manipulating Referendum Issue

Bosnian Serb leader Milorad Dodik said if a deal on Bosnia as a confederation of three units is not possible, Bosnia's mainly Serbian entity, Republika Srpska, RS, reserved a right to hold a referendum on seeking outright independence.

Dodik sees Bosnia as "three-state confederation"

Dodik sees Bosnia as "three-state confederation"

BANJA LUKA -- The Serb Republic (RS) wants three states to be created in Bosnia-Herzegovina that would be "confederally tied" into that country, Milorad Dodik, has said.

Otherwise a referendum on independence is "possible" in the Serb entity, its president has warned.

Balkan countries train together for ISAF

Balkan countries train together for ISAF

Joint preparation contributes to regional co-operation and Euro-Atlantic integration.

Croatia and Montenegro troops work together in a training exercise. [NATO]

Soldiers from Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH), Croatia and Montenegro are working together to join the NATO mission in Afghanistan (ISAF).

Family Killings Conviction in Bosnia’s Busovaca Challenged

Both prosecution and defence appealed against the nine-year sentence given to Bosnian Croat ex-fighter Zoran Milic, who was convicted of involvement in killing four Bosniaks in Busovaca in 1993.

Bosnia Entities Split Power Company Profits

The two shareholders in Bosnia's power distribution company, Elektroprenos, which are the country's two entities on March 31 agreed to divide up the net profit of the company - some 50 million euro.

The Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina will get 58 per cent of the sum while the other entity, Republika Srpska, will get 42 per cent.

BiH cracks down on fan violence and nationalism

BiH cracks down on fan violence and nationalism

Increased security measures and bans are part of the BiH football federation's plan to curtail fan violence and nationalist rhetoric.

BiH football fans throw flares onto the field after Egypt scored a second goal during a friendly football match in Innsbruck, Austria, on March 5th. [AFP]

Linta: Croatia must stop discrimination against Serbs

BELGRADE - The president of the Coalition of Refugee Associations Miodrag Linta on Monday urged the Croatian government to scrap the provisions of its housing programme that discriminate against 40,000 Serb expellees, adding that the deadline to apply for the programme expires on Monday.

Serbia's trade grows over first two months of 2014

BELGRADE – Serbia’s total foreign trade in January and February of 2014 amounted to USD 5.2 billion, an increase of 9.2 percent compared to the same period last year, the Statistical Office of the Republic of Serbia (RZS) said in a release Monday.

Serb entity "has right to self-determination" - PM

Serb entity "has right to self-determination" - PM

BANJA LUKA -- RS Prime Minister Željka Cvijanović has said that the Serb entity in Bosnia-Herzegovina "has a right to self-determination."

According to her, "the talk about a referendum, when it comes to the Serb Republic (RS), is not taboo nor is it artificially imposed from time to time."