Diyarbakır

1800-year-old Zerzevan Castle entrance found

Archaeologists have unearthed the 1800-year-old entrance of the Castle of Zerzevan, situated in the Çınar district of the southeastern province of Diyarbakır and is on the UNESCO World Heritage Tentative List.

"We have found the most important point to examine the architecture of the defense of the castle," said Aytaç Coşkun, the head of the excavation team.

Masks mandatory in five more provinces

Turkey has made it mandatory for people to wear face masks in public in five more provinces as part of measures to curb the spread of COVID-19, the country's health minister said early on June 16. 

Fahrettin Koca said on Twitter that wearing masks is mandatory in Diyarbakır, Erzurum, Kayseri, Rize and Şanlıurfa provinces. The mask rule is applied in 42 provinces.

Election law should be revised: Justice minister

 

Considering and preparing a new election law is useful and necessary, Turkey's justice minister said on June 8. 

Abdulhamit Gül evaluated the agenda in an appearance on journalist Cüneyt Özdemir's YouTube channel.

Three former opposition party lawmakers were sent to prison last Friday, a day after parliament revoked their seats.

1,800 years on, water channels in Turkey’s southeast remain mystery

The water channels of Zerzevan Castle, a site on the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage Temporary list, built so intricately 1,800 years ago in the southeastern province of Diyarbakır's Çınar district remains a mystery to this day.

The Zerzevan Castle, located 13 kilometers from central Çınar in the Demirölçek neighborhood, was used as a military settlement in the Roman era.

Four mayors detained over alleged terror links

Four mayors from the Peoples' Democratic Party (HDP) in southeastern and eastern Turkey have been detained over alleged terror links, according to local media reports.

Iğdır Municipality Mayor Yaşar Akkuş, Siirt Mayor Berivan Helen Işık, Baykan Mayor Ramazan Sarsılmaz and Kurtalan Mayor Bara Akgül have been detained over suspected links to terrorism.

2011 Ankara bombing suspect detained in eastern Turkey

A PKK terror suspect was detained in connection with the 2011 car bomb attack in the capital Ankara, which claimed 5
lives, police said on May 1. 
Identified only by the initials I.A., the suspect was captured from his father's house in eastern Diyarbakır province, the provincial security directorate said in a statement.

5 arrested over links to terror attack in SE Turkey

At least five people were arrested over alleged links to April 8's terror attack in southeastern Turkey, security sources said.

Earlier on April 9, prosecutors in the southeastern province of Diyarbakır issued warrants for six suspects over the attack in Kulp district which claimed the lives of five villagers.

Pages