In Bosnia and Herzegovina

The vehicle from the escort of Željka Cvijanović assaulted

According to the announcement of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of the Herzegovina-Neretva Canton, the incident happened yesterday, when, as stated, an unknown person blocked the road with a Hyundai vehicle and tore off the rotating light from the official vehicle of the Republika Srpska and threw it off the road.

Conviction Challenged in ‘Sarajevo Romeo and Juliet’ Case

The defence lawyer for Veljko Papic, the wartime commander of the Third Company of the Bosnian Serb Army's Sarajevo-Romanija Corps' First Battalion, told BIRN that an appeal has been filed against the verdict jailing him for two years for crimes against the civilian population in Sarajevo in 1993 and 1994.

The prosecution has also appealed, asking for a longer sentence.

Bosnia Upholds Verdict Acquitting Ex-Fighters of Serbs’ Killings

The Bosnian state court said on Thursday that a prosecution appeal against the verdict acquitting former fighters Edhem Godinjak, Medaris Saric and Mirko Bunoza, who had been accused of war crimes against civilians and prisoners of war, has been rejected as "unfounded".

Serbian Ministry to Probe Playing of Anti-Bosniak Song in School

Serbian Education Ministry said on Thursday evening that it will carry out a review at the at the Vasa Stajic School in the northern city of Novi Sad and that "the provincial inspection will take action" to find out who was responsible after children aged 10 and 11 and a teacher were filmed dancing to an anti-Bosniak song.

Children’s Wartime Deaths Commemorated in Sarajevo

The Forgotten Children of War association and a group of young Bosnian women laid flowers on Tuesday in tribute to children killed during the 1992-95 war in Sarajevo and in the neighbouring city of East Sarajevo.

They also displayed placards spelling out the words: "They were just children. Together we can build bridges for the future."

Photo: Forgotten Children of War.

Bosniak Fighters’ Convictions for Crimes Against Serbs Upheld

The appeals chamber of the Bosnian state court on Friday confirmed a first-instance verdict sentencing Senad Dzananovic to 11 years in prison and Edin Gadzo to five years for crimes against Serb civilians in the Alipasino Polje neighbourhood of Sarajevo.

The court said that the defendants' appeals had been rejected as "unfounded".

Refugee Bombing Case Highlights Serbia and Croatia’s Enduring Antagonism

The man identified in court in The Hague as Witness 56 was a Serb policeman in the Croatian town of Knin between May 1994 and August 5, 1995. That was the date when he left the country, along with around 200,000 other Serbs, as the Croatian Army crushed Serb rebel forces during Operation Storm.

Pages