Since the beginning of 2023, 94 cases of invasive Group A Streptococcus infection in both children and adults have been reported
A 9-year-old girl from Didymoteicho, Thrace, died after experiencing acute respiratory failure due to a Streptococcus infection on Monday.
According to state broadcaster ERT, the girl was taken to the local hospital where she tested positive for the bacteria.
ERT reports that the girl's remains will be transported to Alexandroupolis, the region's capital, for an autopsy.
The European Commission approved the addition of the "Bulgarian white brine cheese" to the list of protected geographical indications of the EU. With today's decision, this traditional Bulgarian product enters the list of 1,646 already protected agricultural products. This quality scheme applies to foods and wines whose origin is linked to a specific place of production.
"At the moment, we are not in an emergency situation regarding the spread of chicken pox and scarlet fever," reported the Regional Health Inspection (RHI).
However, a report from the RHI website shows that in the same week in 2019 and 2020, the spread of scarlet fever was 25 and 19 cases. For the same week in 2023, they were 151, reports the National Radio.