All News on Social Issues in Montenegro

Montenegrin Majority Announces Agreement Ahead of Vote on New Govt

Ruling majority MPs at a parliamentary session in Cetinje, Montenegro. Photo: Parliament of Montenegro

On Thursday, media published that the leader of the liberal Black-on-White coalition, Dritan Abazovic, had proposed an agreement asking the future government to pass a Law of on the Examination of the Origin of Property and a Law on Lustration.

Azerbaijani Ambassador to Serbia arrested

According to the press service of the State Security of Azerbaijan, he was arrested on suspicion of embezzling a large sum of money from the budget.
It was also published on the official website of the state security of Azerbaijan.

"We will ask Belgrade how more than 4.000 people recovered in one day"

The Institute of Public Health of Montenegro told Antena M that they are in compliance with the EU recommendations that the relaxation of measures and the opening of borders must be done gradually and on the basis of scientifically based evidence and facts.

Serbia and Montenegro’s Strongman Leaders United in Self-Interest

Since December last year, when Montenegro adopted its controversial law regulating freedom of religion, the country has been caught up in an ongoing crisis that has sparked street protests and caused serious tensions between the Serbian Orthodox Church in Montenegro and its supporters on one side and the ruling Democratic Party of Socialists led by President Milo Djukanovic on the other.

Montenegro - the Second Country in Europe to Report a Win Over the Coronavirus

Last night, Montenegro became the second country in Europe to officially report they are free of active COVID-19 cases.

Montenegro has now joined the Faroe Islands the only two European countries to have zero active cases of the coronavirus.

The government of Montenegro made the announcement publicly last night on their official Twitter account.

Government of Bulgaria Grants Financial Assistance to Western Balkans and Vietnam

The government of Bulgaria approved the granting of EUR 112,000 of financial assistance to the countries of the Western Balkans and Vietnam.

The money is for coping with the consequences of Covid-19 and will be used for the implementation of 6 projects in fulfillment of the Team Europe initiative - the global EU response to Covid-19.

"Djukanovic's plan is clear - the Ustasha method" VIDEO

He appealed to Djukanovic to "consider his actions."
The Patriarch said that even during the Ottoman Empire and during communism, the authorities had much more respect for the Serbian Orthodox Church, "compared to today."

Montenegro Activists Criticise Arrest for Mocking Anthem

Police patrol in Podgorica, Montenegro. Photo:BIRN/Samir Kajosevic

"A criminal complaint has been filed against Cabarkapa and the state prosecutor has stated that he offended Montenegro's reputation in a published post," the police directorate said.

Company Linked to Serbian Minister’s Husband Gets State Contracts

Out of the spotlight, companies linked with Bojan Kisic secured lucrative contracts with several state companies and ministries, including a three-million-euro deal to maintain Serbia's integrated health information system. The software handles the most sensitive private information of the Serbian public health-care system. 

IMF, EU 3bn Loan Welcomed in Balkans Despite Unknowns

EU candidate states from the West Balkans have welcomed the offer of 3 billion euros in emergency loans, to be distributed among 10 states bordering or near the EU, although the borrowing conditions remain to be determined, the European Commission confirmed to BIRN.

Montenegro Govt Accused of Flouting Constitution Amid Crisis

Montenegrin MP discussion about COVID-19.Photo: Montenegrin government

Democratic Front MP Branka Bosnjak warned that, in a situation in which Montenegro has not declared a state of emergency, parliament must decide on all government measures.

Montenegro Places First Town under Total Quarantine

Empty streets in Tuzi. Photo: BIRN/Samir Kajosevic

Government vice-president Milutin Simovic told locals on Tuesday night that they would have to remain at home until further notice. "Without exception, all citizens of Tuzi must be at their homes. We are beginning a battle for this town and for all of Montenegro," Simovic told a press conference.

Pages