Latest News from Montenegro

Montenegro Medic Arrested for Publishing List of Coronavirus Patients

Montenegrin policemen on the streets in Podgorica. Photo:BIRN/Samir Kajosevic

"As an official, he is in charge of publishing information on COVID-19 patients through the IDO system, which he forwarded via Viber to other persons who, although his colleagues, are not authorized to dispose of this information," the Prosecution said in a press release.

Turkey sends medical aid to five Balkan countries

A Turkish military aircraft carrying medical aid for the fight against the novel coronavirus departed from the capital Ankara for five Balkan countries on April 8.

Balkan Tourism Sector Braces for Summer Season Write-Off

Dragan Ivancevic's Hotel Adria in the Montenegrin coastal town of Budva stands empty, its doors shut by a government-imposed lockdown to fight the spread of COVID-19.

For years, the money spent by tourists flocking to Montenegro's Adriatic coastline has been a mainstay of the former Yugoslav republic's economy, accounting for 21 per cent of national output last year.

Turkey quarantines over 15,000 returnees

Turkey's youth and sports minister said on April 4 that 15,756 people who arrived in the country from abroad have been quarantined in 78 dormitories across 51 provinces.

TV Prayers Fill Gap for Montenegrin Believers in Pandemic

The town centre in Tuzi. Photo: BIRN/Samir Kajosevic

Since Montenegro banned public gatherings on March 18, only priests and clerics can enter and pray in churches and mosques until the epidemic is over.

Bosnia Seeks Interpol Help to Detain War Fugitives

The state court in Sarajevo has asked Interpol to call for the arrests of Dusan Cimes, Slobodan Curcic and Goran Mojovic, who are all wanted to face war crimes charges but are currently living abroad.

Cimes is accused of participating in a widespread and systematic attack by the Bosnian Serb Army and police against the Bosniak civilian population.

Montenegro Spends First Night Under Curfew

The centre of the Montenegrin capital Podgorica was empty and quiet as the first night of a nocturnal curfew intended to help curb the spread of the cornavirus began on Tuesday evening.

Montenegro's nocturnal curfew began at 7pm on Tuesday evening, with only police officers visible on the normally crowded streets of central Podgorica.

Concern in Montenegro over Number of Health Workers Self-Isolating

Medical workers in Montenegrin clinical centre. Photo: BIRN/Samir Kajosevic

Boban Mugosa denied the numbers - 237 medical workers self-isolating and 10 infected - were due to workplace exposure to COVID-19 or a lack of equipment, but because of "contacts at home."

Montenegro Govt Accused of Flouting Constitution Amid Crisis

Montenegrin MP discussion about COVID-19.Photo: Montenegrin government

Democratic Front MP Branka Bosnjak warned that, in a situation in which Montenegro has not declared a state of emergency, parliament must decide on all government measures.

Nearly 800,000 infected

The highest number of infected people in the United States amounts to 164.253, with a total of 3.167 deceased so far.
Italy follows with 101.739 cases of infected with COVID-19, and in that country, mostly in the north, 11.591 persons died, while 14.620 recovered.

Montenegro Detains Priest for Defying Ban on Gatherings

Christ resurrection temple in Podgorica, Montenegro. BIRN/Samir Kajosevic

"He violated the temporary measure that religious rites must be performed exclusively without the presence of believers," the police said in a press realise.

Concern for Rights in Montenegro amid COVID-19 Fight

The country, which has been run by the same party for the past three decades, has a long record of restricting human rights and violating data privacy rights.

Activists fear the government will exploit the COVID-19 pandemic to clamp down further. The government says its overriding priority is to protect the lives and health of Montenegrin citizens.

Bulgaria Suspends Entry and Transit of Lorries Travelling to Turkey

By order of Minister of Health, Kiril Ananiev, the entry into and transit through the territory of the Republic of Bulgaria of heavy goods vehicles travelling to the Republic of Turkey and arriving from the following countries is temporarily suspended as of March 25:

Montenegro Places First Town under Total Quarantine

Empty streets in Tuzi. Photo: BIRN/Samir Kajosevic

Government vice-president Milutin Simovic told locals on Tuesday night that they would have to remain at home until further notice. "Without exception, all citizens of Tuzi must be at their homes. We are beginning a battle for this town and for all of Montenegro," Simovic told a press conference.

Pages